In early June, we announced that both Qantas and Jetstar will increase domestic and regional flying for June and July 2020 as travel restrictions start to ease across the country. The additional services will increase capacity from 5 per cent of pre-Coronavirus levels, to 15 per cent by the end of June, equating to 300 more return flights per week.
Depending on passenger travel demand and further relaxation of state borders, the Group has the ability to increase passenger flights to up to 40 per cent of the pre-crisis domestic capacity by the end of July, which will mean even more domestic freight capacity.
Details of the additional flights include:
- More services on capital city routes particularly Melbourne-Sydney and a number of routes to and from Canberra.
- Increased intra-state flights for Western Australia, Queensland, New South Wales and South Australia.
- Broome, Cairns and Rockhampton see a significant boost in weekly flights.
- Flights will resume on eight routes that were suspended in April and May.
- Qantas will commence flights from Sydney to Byron Bay (Ballina), after the route launch was postponed due to the Coronavirus.